MGM said to have forfeited right to withdraw from Osaka USD 10B IR project
Monday 09 de September 2024 / 12:00
2 minutos de lectura
(Osaka).- MGM Resorts International is reported to have forfeited its right to withdraw from its near US$10 billion Osaka integrated resort development within the next two years in order to clarify its commitment to the project.
According to the Nikkei, MGM has agreed to forego the withdrawal option, which had allowed the company to pull out at any time until September 2026 pending certain conditions such as tourism to Japan falling short of pre-pandemic levels, investment requirements spiralling or unexpected issues emerging with the Yumeshima Island site.
It is also reported that builders have expressed reservations about signing onto the project due to uncertainty around its future.
MGM declined to comment when contacted by Inside Asian Gaming on Sunday and it is unclear whether the reported forfeiture of withdrawal rights is related to a recent request by organizers of next year’s World Expo to pause construction of the Osaka IR for six months due to concerns around noise and visuals.
As previously reported by Inside Asian Gaming, MGM began land preparatory work on the 21-hectare site late last year with the goal of preventing liquefaction and firming up the land base. Those liquefaction measures are expected to continue throughout the Osaka Expo and be completed by April 2027 at a cost of JPY25.5 billion ($173 million).
Other preparatory work such as setting up fences, offices and laying out power lines, will be completed by spring of 2025, the Nikkei said.
Completion and opening of the IR itself has already been pushed back by a year to 2030.
Osaka IR Corporation, the joint venture between MGM Resorts International and local partner ORIX Corporation, officially signed the Implementation Agreement for development of an Osaka IR in late September 2023, paving the way for construction works to begin.
Once complete, the IR is projected to include 2,500 hotel rooms across three hotel brands, 730,000 square feet of MICE space and tourism facilities to showcase the best of Osaka and Japan.
Categoría:Casino
Tags: Sin tags
País: Japan
Región: Asia
Event
ICE Barcelona 2026
19 de January 2026
Luz Beatriz Jaramillo Serna of 21Viral: “Our presence at ICE Barcelona 2026 was exceptionally positive”
(Barcelona, SoloAzar Exclusive).- Following her participation at ICE Barcelona 2026, Luz Beatriz Jaramillo Serna, Head of Business Development, Marketing and Sales for Latin America at 21Viral, analyzes the commercial impact of the event, the trends set to shape the industry’s direction, and the company’s strategic priorities to consolidate growth across the region and new regulated markets.
Monday 16 Feb 2026 / 12:00
Toni Karapetrov from Habanero on ICE Barcelona 2026: Regulated Growth, Localization and Strategic Expansion Drive 2026 iGaming Strategy
(Barcelona, Exclusive SoloAzar).- In this interview, Toni Karapetrov, Head of Corporate Communications at Habanero, shares insights from ICE Barcelona 2026, highlighting premium content innovation, high-level industry engagement, key iGaming trends such as localization and gamification, and the company’s strategic focus on regulated market expansion and sustainable growth in 2026.
Friday 13 Feb 2026 / 12:00
Martin Ivanov, COO of CT Interactive: “We plan to consolidate our presence in regulated markets across Europe and LATAM while actively expanding into Africa"
(Barcelona, SoloAzar Exclusive).- In this interview with SoloAzar following ICE Barcelona 2026, Martin Ivanov shares key insights on CT Interactive’s commercial achievements, emerging industry trends, expansion across Africa and regulated markets, and the company’s strategic priorities for 2026.
Monday 16 Feb 2026 / 12:00
SUSCRIBIRSE
Para suscribirse a nuestro newsletter, complete sus datos
Reciba todo el contenido más reciente en su correo electrónico varias veces al mes.

