Macau casinos show signs of recovery in October
Wednesday 11 de November 2020 / 07:10
⏱ 2 min read
(Macau).- There are signs of recovery in the world’s largest gambling market as Macau casinos snapped its streak of six straight months with at least a 90 percent drop in revenue.
Gambling operators in the former Portuguese colony won the equivalent of $910 million from gamblers in October, according to numbers released from the Gaming Inspection & Coordination Bureau. Those figures represent a 72.5 percent year-over-year fall, which may sound bad for industry, but could be the sign of a recovery in the market.
According to a Bloomberg report, analysts in the region were expecting a 74 percent drop after half a year with at least catastrophic 90 percent declines. Through the first 10 months of 2020, the region has generated $5.7 billion worth of revenue, good for an 81.4 percent decrease from the same time frame in 2019.
Obviously, the COVID-19 pandemic is the driving cause of the sharp revenue decline, but Las Vegas Sands Corp, owner of six Macau properties, said they saw a sizable increase in gambling activity throughout the month.
“October was the first time since January that we’ve seen significant real business volume and patronage,” COO Grant Chum told Bloomberg in late October. “The patrons returning first to Macau are the high-quality, high-frequency customers.”
The company is so bullish on the resurgence of Asian gambling markets, that it announced at the end of October that it was exploring options to sell its two Las Vegas Strip casinos, as well as its convention center, in order to focus solely on its Asian properties in Macau and Singapore.
China’s Golden Week, a national holiday in early October that is one of the biggest weeks for Chinese tourism, may have helped fuel the rebound, but tourism numbers were down 84 percent from last year. As the Chinese government continues to loosen travel restrictions stemming from the virus, the rebound will continue.
Categoría:Casino
Tags: Sin tags
País: Macao
Event
PERU GAMING SHOW – PGS 2026
17 de June 2026
ProntoPaga Consolidates Its Position at Peru Gaming Show 2026
(Lima, SoloAzar Exclusive).- Juan Carlos Loza, Head of Sales Latam at ProntoPaga, spoke exclusively after the company's participation in Peru Gaming Show 2026, highlighting the agreements reached, the interest in their payment solutions, and the expansion plans that will drive their growth across Latin America.
Monday 03 Aug 2026 / 12:00
Enhancing Responsible Gaming Through Effective Training at PGS 2026
(Lima, SoloAzar Exclusive) – Training, prevention, and technology took center stage at the "Value of Responsible Gaming in Gambling Operations" conference during the 2026 Perú Gaming Show (PGS). Presented by Fernando Calderón Castro, President of the National Gaming Society (SONAJA), the session brought industry leaders together to tackle current challenges and explore strategies for safer, more transparent, and sustainable operations.
Wednesday 22 Jul 2026 / 12:00
LSports at the Peru Gaming Show: Building Presence, Opening Doors
(Lima, SoloAzar Exclusive).- The Peru Gaming Show was never just about the booth. For LSports, it was about showing up in a market where showing up still matters — and leaving with more than a contact list. Federico Brancato, Sales Manager for the LATAM Region, came to Lima with a clear sense of what operators in this part of Latin America need most right now. What he found confirmed it.
Friday 17 Jul 2026 / 12:00
SUSCRIBIRSE
Para suscribirse a nuestro newsletter, complete sus datos
Reciba todo el contenido más reciente en su correo electrónico varias veces al mes.