No plans to shut down Macau casinos again as government eyes return of IVS visas
Friday 03 de April 2020 / 03:17
⏱ 2 min read
(Macau).- The Macau government will ask mainland China to resume issuing visas under the Individual Visit Scheme (IVS) as soon as the COVID-19 pandemic is deemed to be under control, but there are no plans to shut down Macau’s casinos again in the meantime, according to Secretary for Economy and Finance, Lei Wai Nong.
“The government does not have a plan to adjust the current operations on casinos,” Lei said on Thursday in response to questions over a dramatic decline in visitation to Macau, including an all-time low of just 230 visitor arrivals last Sunday. The decline comes after Guangdong Province announced mandatory quarantine for anyone returning from Macau or Hong Kong.
“[Keeping casinos open] is because the gaming industry is not only providing (gambling) services, but also guarantees the employment of over 58,000 employees,” he added. “Macau and the mainland is working hard on preventative measures. Once the situation of the epidemic is eased, the SAR government will ask the central government to resume the IVS.”
Lei noted that he had received several reports about operators reducing employees’ wages or asking staff to volunteer for unpaid leave, and emphasised such agreements must be confirmed on both sides.
“The six gaming concessionaires have still made their commitment to sustain employment during this difficult time,” he said. “There have been some individual dismissal cases due to employees not following their principals. A junket operator previously laid off employees and we cooperated with them to solve the problem.
“We have to tide over this time together but I believe our persistence will be worth it.”
The government plans to set up a MOP$10 billion (US$1.25 billion) fund from the Macao Foundation to enhance the financial support offered to residents and businesses affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. However, the Secretary stated that gaming operators would not be the target of the fund.
Categoría:Casino
Tags: Sin tags
País: Macao
Event
PERU GAMING SHOW – PGS 2026
17 de June 2026
ProntoPaga Consolidates Its Position at Peru Gaming Show 2026
(Lima, SoloAzar Exclusive).- Juan Carlos Loza, Head of Sales Latam at ProntoPaga, spoke exclusively after the company's participation in Peru Gaming Show 2026, highlighting the agreements reached, the interest in their payment solutions, and the expansion plans that will drive their growth across Latin America.
Monday 03 Aug 2026 / 12:00
Enhancing Responsible Gaming Through Effective Training at PGS 2026
(Lima, SoloAzar Exclusive) – Training, prevention, and technology took center stage at the "Value of Responsible Gaming in Gambling Operations" conference during the 2026 Perú Gaming Show (PGS). Presented by Fernando Calderón Castro, President of the National Gaming Society (SONAJA), the session brought industry leaders together to tackle current challenges and explore strategies for safer, more transparent, and sustainable operations.
Wednesday 22 Jul 2026 / 12:00
LSports at the Peru Gaming Show: Building Presence, Opening Doors
(Lima, SoloAzar Exclusive).- The Peru Gaming Show was never just about the booth. For LSports, it was about showing up in a market where showing up still matters — and leaving with more than a contact list. Federico Brancato, Sales Manager for the LATAM Region, came to Lima with a clear sense of what operators in this part of Latin America need most right now. What he found confirmed it.
Friday 17 Jul 2026 / 12:00
SUSCRIBIRSE
Para suscribirse a nuestro newsletter, complete sus datos
Reciba todo el contenido más reciente en su correo electrónico varias veces al mes.