Noticias de ultima
  • 12.00 SPA Launches Public Consultation on 2026–2027 Regulatory Agenda, Reinforcing the Maturity of Brazil’s Betting Market
  • 12.00 "Lightning 10 Year Storm" by Aristocrat Gaming Debuts at WinStar World Casino and Resort as US Rollout Begins
  • 12.00 ANJ Calls for Advertising Restraint on Sports Betting Ahead of 2026 FIFA World Cup
  • 12.00 Virginia Senate Panel Advances Fairfax County Casino Bill Without Location Restrictions
  • 12.00 Indiana Senate Committee Advances Bill to Relocate Ohio County Casino License
  • 12.00 IGT Launches Award-Winning RISE55 Cabinet in Chile
  • 12.00 EEGS Webinar to Highlight AI’s Expanding Role in Player Experience and Risk Monitoring, with Support from CT Interactive
  • 12.00 Ukraine Moves to Regulate Lottery Sector with New Transparent Framework
  • 12.00 Onlyplay unveils “Zeus Sky: Hold & Win”
  • 12.00 R. Franco and the resounding success of "7 Power Up"
Casino

NYC Politician Acknowledges Potential Approval of Steve Cohen's $8 B Casino Proposal Despite Her Objection

Tuesday 22 de April 2025 / 12:00

2 minutos de lectura

(New York).- A state senator who opposes a bill that would boost billionaire Mets owner Steve Cohen’s bid to open a casino complex next to CitiField in her district admits the measure may pass despite her.

NYC Politician Acknowledges Potential Approval of Steve Cohen's $8 B Casino Proposal Despite Her Objection

“I don’t know if I have the power to block that legislation,” said Jessica Ramos, a Queens pol running in the Democratic primary for New York City mayor, to The Post.

Cohen has teamed up with gaming operator Hard Rock on the bid, which is vying for one of three casino licenses to be awarded by year’s end by the state Gaming Commission.

But before the $8 billion Cohen-Hard Rock “Metropolitan Park” casino entertainment complex in Flushing-Corona-Willets Point can be even considered, the state legislature must pass a law re-designating the lots around CitiField from parkland to commercial use. The proposal is dead without a change in law.

Ramos refused to introduce a bill calling for the proposed change last year and in 2023, citing constituents’ concerns.

But state Sen. John Liu (D-Queens) recently agreed to introduce the legislation, a coup for the Cohen-Hard Rock bid.

While most of the land for the project is in Ramos’ district, a smaller portion of the property is also in Liu’s district.

State Assemblywoman Larinda Hooks (D-Queens), whose district also includes the area where the planned casino is proposed, has meanwhile introduced the measure to re-designate the property for a gaming facility in the lower chamber.

“One of my colleagues introduced it,” Ramos told The Post editorial board of the bill last week.

“It does impact his district. It’s not like it was introduced by someone from a different geography.

“[Liu] has a direct vested interest in what happens there. We are having a profound disagreement about this. I disagree with him. I think he’s wrong.”

Ramos said the casino would have a negative influence on the lower-income constituents and senior citizens in her district.

“It’s really about my neighborhood,” the lawmaker said.

“Why should Roosevelt Avenue end in a casino, especially where it would be right off of the train?” she said, referring to the No. 7 train stop by CitiField/Willets Point.

She noted the casino would be open every day.

“No, we as taxpayers cannot afford for our seniors gambling away their pension or social-security money because then we have to pony up [funds] to make sure they are taken care of,” Ramos said.

Ramos has conducted three town halls, online surveys and a poll to hear what her constituents think of the casino project.

“Guess what? Three-quarters of my neighbors don’t want it,” the mayoral candidate said.

She said she will make her case against the legislation but doesn’t know how the Senate will vote.

“What has to happen is the bill passes or it doesn’t,” “Ramos said.

“[Senate Majority Leader Andrea Stewart Cousins] and everyone in this city knows exactly how I feel about this project.”

Liu, during his recent endorsement of the casino-entertainment complex, said, “I am close to Jessica, and I know her principled position is based on feedback from her constituents.

“Similarly, my intent to advance any enabling legislation is based on feedback I received from constituents. Some opposed but far more in favor.

Aside from Liu, the casino is supported by Queens Borough President Donovan Richards and city Councilman Francisco Moya, as well as the nearby community boards.

The race to bring a piece of the Las Vegas Strip to the Big Apple kicked off in 2013 with a constitutional amendment authorizing seven New York gambling casinos, with the support of then-Gov. Andrew Cuomo, who is now running for mayor.

Four upstate casinos were licensed first, and a moratorium was placed on the downstate casinos until 2023.

Categoría:Casino

Tags: Sin tags

País: United States

Región: North America

Event

ICE Barcelona 2026

19 de January 2026

Toni Karapetrov from Habanero on ICE Barcelona 2026: Regulated Growth, Localization and Strategic Expansion Drive 2026 iGaming Strategy

(Barcelona, Exclusive SoloAzar).- In this interview, Toni Karapetrov, Head of Corporate Communications at Habanero, shares insights from ICE Barcelona 2026, highlighting premium content innovation, high-level industry engagement, key iGaming trends such as localization and gamification, and the company’s strategic focus on regulated market expansion and sustainable growth in 2026.

Friday 13 Feb 2026 / 12:00

Johnny Ortiz, Founder of Zitro: "Our participation in this second edition of ICE Barcelona has been a resounding success"

(Barcelona, SoloAzar Exclusive).- In this interview, Johnny Ortiz reviews Zitro's participation at ICE Barcelona 2026, analyzes the impact of its new FANTASY and ILLUSION products, and reveals the company's strategic priorities for 2026, including international expansion, technological innovation, and strengthening its position in the Spanish market.

Friday 13 Feb 2026 / 12:00

R. Franco Strengthens Its Global Positioning Following a Strong Presence at ICE Barcelona 2026

(Barcelona, SoloAzar Exclusive).- R. Franco Digital's participation at ICE Barcelona 2026 delivered a highly positive outcome for the company, which leveraged the event to consolidate its international presence, showcase its latest innovations for both land-based and online segments, and generate key business opportunities across Europe and Latin America.

Wednesday 11 Feb 2026 / 12:00

SUSCRIBIRSE

Para suscribirse a nuestro newsletter, complete sus datos

Reciba todo el contenido más reciente en su correo electrónico varias veces al mes.