Nevada: Reno bars to re-open, Las Vegas bars to remain closed
Monday 14 de September 2020 / 04:10
⏱ 3 min read
(Nevada).- Washoe County bars, taprooms and breweries may reopen as early as next week, the state’s COVID-19 Mitigation and Management Task Force determined during a Thursday meeting.
Bars in Las Vegas will remain closed after a motion to reopen bars in Clark County failed to pass.
The task force approved Washoe County’s “excellent” plan for bars, taprooms, breweries and wineries, pending minor modifications that will be made no later than 11:59 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 16.
Bars and related businesses will be able to reopen as early as 12 a.m. Thursday, Sept. 17, according to task force officials.
Nye County bars were also approved to reopen.
'Please let us open'
Nevada bars, businesses and county officials pleaded with the task force to allow bars to reopen statewide during the Thursday meeting.
Bar owners from Washoe, Clark, Nye and Elko counties said their businesses are in dire straits and need to reopen immediately or risk permanent closure.
"It’s OK to serve sake but not a Corona Light? This isn’t science, this is science fiction," said Randy Miller, a member of the gaming industry, asking why restaurants are allowed to be open and serve alcohol but not bars. "Throw another dart, and pick another industry to destroy."
Miller said that bars were being "targeted" and treated unfairly despite evidence showing that bars are not the problem.
In the public comment period, Valerie Truce of Washoe County said only a few bars were problematic when it came to virus prevention measures before closure.
"Give them a chance to prove that they’re not going to add to the pandemic," said Truce.
One Nye County official applauded the task force for its work at a tough job, but said local businesses truly needed to reopen.
"They’re about to go broke and lose everything," said Commissioner Leo Blundo. "We’ll self-police, it will cost you nothing. Please. Please let us open."
Washoe bars
Task force members lauded Washoe County's plan as a model plan due to the detailed mitigation measures listed and the clear collaboration efforts between county officials and local businesses.
The plan includes measures that will require stringent handwashing, social distancing and no live entertainment.
The task force ultimately approved bars reopening in Washoe and Nye because the positivity rates were below 10 percent, and both were trending downward in positive test results.
While the task force initially sought to give the green light to Washoe County bars at next week's task force meeting, member Christopher Lake pressed the group to move forward as soon as possible.
"I just hate to see all these people’s livelihoods put on hold just for some wording and process," said Lake, executive director of community resilience for the Nevada Hospital Association.
Washoe County has previously argued that bar closures have led to a spike in house parties, where, unlike bars, social distancing and other safety regulations aren't monitored.
According to county officials' reasoning, the crowds would move to bars, where they would be required to take precautions such as masks and social distancing.
Since late August, Reno police have been cracking down on large house parties, which public health officials say are spreading the coronavirus at a fast clip in Washoe County.
Categoría:Others
Tags: Sin tags
País: United States
Event
PERU GAMING SHOW – PGS 2026
17 de June 2026
ProntoPaga Consolidates Its Position at Peru Gaming Show 2026
(Lima, SoloAzar Exclusive).- Juan Carlos Loza, Head of Sales Latam at ProntoPaga, spoke exclusively after the company's participation in Peru Gaming Show 2026, highlighting the agreements reached, the interest in their payment solutions, and the expansion plans that will drive their growth across Latin America.
Monday 03 Aug 2026 / 12:00
Enhancing Responsible Gaming Through Effective Training at PGS 2026
(Lima, SoloAzar Exclusive) – Training, prevention, and technology took center stage at the "Value of Responsible Gaming in Gambling Operations" conference during the 2026 Perú Gaming Show (PGS). Presented by Fernando Calderón Castro, President of the National Gaming Society (SONAJA), the session brought industry leaders together to tackle current challenges and explore strategies for safer, more transparent, and sustainable operations.
Wednesday 22 Jul 2026 / 12:00
LSports at the Peru Gaming Show: Building Presence, Opening Doors
(Lima, SoloAzar Exclusive).- The Peru Gaming Show was never just about the booth. For LSports, it was about showing up in a market where showing up still matters — and leaving with more than a contact list. Federico Brancato, Sales Manager for the LATAM Region, came to Lima with a clear sense of what operators in this part of Latin America need most right now. What he found confirmed it.
Friday 17 Jul 2026 / 12:00
SUSCRIBIRSE
Para suscribirse a nuestro newsletter, complete sus datos
Reciba todo el contenido más reciente en su correo electrónico varias veces al mes.