Casino

Casino operator Star Entertainment faces a $41 million repayment as crucial deal falls apart

Friday 01 de August 2025 / 12:00

⏱ 1 min read

(Sydney).- Star Entertainment, currently facing financial challenges, is now required to repay $41 million after a planned deal to sell its interest in the Brisbane Queen's Wharf project to international partners collapsed. The company disclosed in an ASX statement that it was unable to finalize terms with its Hong Kong-based collaborators, Chow Tai Fook Enterprises and Far East Consortium.

Casino operator Star Entertainment faces a $41 million repayment as crucial deal falls apart

Star Entertainment deal collapsed

"As of this morning, the parties have been unable to reach agreement on a number of outstanding commercial issues which in turn prevent the finalisation of long form documents," it said. Star's shares dropped to 10 cents this morning off the back of the announcement.

The casino operator's proposed extension for negotiations to August 6 had also been rejected.

The heads of agreement have been terminated, and Star will retain 50 per cent equity in Destination Brisbane Consortium, Destination Gold Coast Consortium, and the Treasury Hotel in Brisbane.

Star will have to repay the joint venture partners $10 million in proceeds by August 6 and $31 million in equity contributions by September 5.

The Brisbane Queen's Wharf development deal announced in March consisted of Star's 50 per cent stake in exchange for a $50 million cash injection.

The deal, as well as a $250 million cash injection secured from US casino giant Bally's Corporation in April, helped Star stave off administration. Star said it is continuing to engage with joint venture partners and will provide an update if there are any material developments.  It is also "considering what alternative options may be available".

Star runs three casinos in Brisbane, the Gold Coast, and Sydney and has been struggling to remain afloat since last year.

It is also awaiting a court decision over alleged breaches of anti-money-laundering laws, and could owe hundreds of millions of dollars.

Categoría:Casino

Tags: Sin tags

País: Australia

Región: Oceania

Event

PERU GAMING SHOW – PGS 2026

17 de June 2026

ProntoPaga Consolidates Its Position at Peru Gaming Show 2026

(Lima, SoloAzar Exclusive).- Juan Carlos Loza, Head of Sales Latam at ProntoPaga, spoke exclusively after the company's participation in Peru Gaming Show 2026, highlighting the agreements reached, the interest in their payment solutions, and the expansion plans that will drive their growth across Latin America.

Monday 03 Aug 2026 / 12:00

Enhancing Responsible Gaming Through Effective Training at PGS 2026

(Lima, SoloAzar Exclusive) – Training, prevention, and technology took center stage at the "Value of Responsible Gaming in Gambling Operations" conference during the 2026 Perú Gaming Show (PGS). Presented by Fernando Calderón Castro, President of the National Gaming Society (SONAJA), the session brought industry leaders together to tackle current challenges and explore strategies for safer, more transparent, and sustainable operations.

Wednesday 22 Jul 2026 / 12:00

LSports at the Peru Gaming Show: Building Presence, Opening Doors

(Lima, SoloAzar Exclusive).- The Peru Gaming Show was never just about the booth. For LSports, it was about showing up in a market where showing up still matters — and leaving with more than a contact list. Federico Brancato, Sales Manager for the LATAM Region, came to Lima with a clear sense of what operators in this part of Latin America need most right now. What he found confirmed it.

Friday 17 Jul 2026 / 12:00

SUSCRIBIRSE

Para suscribirse a nuestro newsletter, complete sus datos

Reciba todo el contenido más reciente en su correo electrónico varias veces al mes.