New York Senator Advocates for Rapid Issuance of Casino Licenses
Friday 17 de October 2025 / 12:00
⏱ 2 min read
(New York).- The chair of the New York Senate’s gambling committee has called for swift action from the state’s gaming board in issuing casino licenses, following MGM Resorts International’s unexpected withdrawal from the bidding process earlier this week.
The head of the New York Senate committee overseeing gambling said a state gaming board should move quickly to award casino licenses after MGM Resorts International abruptly dropped out of the contest this week.
The process of awarding licenses for the New York City area is now in the hands of the five-member Gaming Facility Location Board, which is expected to announce the winners by Dec. 1. Genting Group’s Resorts World, Bally’s Corp. and Mets owner Steve Cohen, in collaboration with Hard Rock International, are the remaining bidders for three potential licenses.
Waiting any longer would delay the creation of construction and permanent resort jobs, as well money for public transportation that would come from license fees, Joseph P. Addabbo Jr., chairman of the Senate’s racing, gaming and wagering committee, said in an interview.
“I don’t see why the state wouldn’t award the last three licenses to the last three applicants,” said Addabbo, a Democrat.
Addabbo supported the 2013 referendum that allowed for seven non-tribal casinos in the state and sponsored 2023 legislation that sped up the process. Like many backers of legalized betting, he was shocked by MGM’s withdrawal.
“They were perceived always as a frontrunner,” he said.
MGM cited proposed changes to the state’s terms that would have reduced its license period to 15 years from 30 years. That could have meant the company would have pay renewal fees down the road. The state set the minimum fee for the initial license at $500 million.
The withdrawal by MGM leaves three probable locations: The Genting and Hard Rock projects are in Queens, while Bally’s is in the Bronx.
Las Vegas Sands Corp. and Wynn Resorts Ltd. dropped out of the bidding earlier this year. Four other projects, including three in Manhattan, were eliminated during a local vetting process.
MGM, which planned a $2.3 billion expansion of its existing slot-machine parlor at Yonkers Raceway, said having casinos so close together reduced the projected returns on its investment.
Categoría:Casino
Tags: Sin tags
País: United States
Región: North America
Event
PERU GAMING SHOW – PGS 2026
17 de June 2026
ProntoPaga Consolidates Its Position at Peru Gaming Show 2026
(Lima, SoloAzar Exclusive).- Juan Carlos Loza, Head of Sales Latam at ProntoPaga, spoke exclusively after the company's participation in Peru Gaming Show 2026, highlighting the agreements reached, the interest in their payment solutions, and the expansion plans that will drive their growth across Latin America.
Monday 03 Aug 2026 / 12:00
Enhancing Responsible Gaming Through Effective Training at PGS 2026
(Lima, SoloAzar Exclusive) – Training, prevention, and technology took center stage at the "Value of Responsible Gaming in Gambling Operations" conference during the 2026 Perú Gaming Show (PGS). Presented by Fernando Calderón Castro, President of the National Gaming Society (SONAJA), the session brought industry leaders together to tackle current challenges and explore strategies for safer, more transparent, and sustainable operations.
Wednesday 22 Jul 2026 / 12:00
LSports at the Peru Gaming Show: Building Presence, Opening Doors
(Lima, SoloAzar Exclusive).- The Peru Gaming Show was never just about the booth. For LSports, it was about showing up in a market where showing up still matters — and leaving with more than a contact list. Federico Brancato, Sales Manager for the LATAM Region, came to Lima with a clear sense of what operators in this part of Latin America need most right now. What he found confirmed it.
Friday 17 Jul 2026 / 12:00
SUSCRIBIRSE
Para suscribirse a nuestro newsletter, complete sus datos
Reciba todo el contenido más reciente en su correo electrónico varias veces al mes.