Nevada Gaming Commission joins Control Board in appealing Wynn ruling
Friday 18 de December 2020 / 04:05
⏱ 3 min read
(Nevada).- Both of Nevada’s gaming regulatory bodies will appeal a judge’s decision dismissing an effort to find disgraced casino operator Steve Wynn unsuitable to hold a gaming license.
On Thursday the five-member Nevada Gaming Commission, without any discussion, voted unanimously to have the Nevada Attorney General’s office legally contest the ruling signed Nov. 19 by Clark County District Judge Adriana Escobar.
The three-person Gaming Control took a similar vote on Dec. 2.
It’s unclear when the Attorney General’s office will proceed with the action.
Escobar agreed with arguments brought by Wynn’s attorneys that Steve Wynn’s resignation in February 2018 as chairman and CEO of Wynn Resorts, coupled with the sale of his holdings in the casino company, removed the Nevada Gaming Commission’s oversight.
The Control Board filed a complaint in October 2019 that sought to label Steve Wynn “unsuitable to be associated with a gaming enterprise or the gaming industry as a whole.” Two months later, the Nevada Gaming Commission unanimously voted that it had the authority and jurisdiction to rule in the matter but allowed Wynn’s attorney to seek a judicial review.
Wynn’s legal team said in a hearing in front of Judge Escobar earlier this year that the five-count complaint against Steve Wynn was moot. The former gaming executive resigned as chairman and CEO and sold all his stock in the casino company a week after a Wall Street Journal article revealed years of sexual misconduct and harassment allegations by Steve Wynn against employees. He has denied the allegations.
In February 2019, Wynn Resorts paid a $20 million fine – the largest in Nevada history – to the Gaming Commission to settle a 10-count complaint that detailed years of failure by former company executives to “report and/or investigate” numerous allegations of sexual assault, sexual harassment, and sexual misconduct by Steve Wynn. Massachusetts gaming regulators slapped a $35 million fine on Wynn Resorts three months later.
Eight months later, the Control Board filed its complaint against Steve Wynn. The first four counts primarily covered sexual misconduct and harassment allegations; the fifth alleged that Wynn failed to appear and testify at a Gaming Control Board investigative hearing.
A year ago, Las Vegas attorney Don Campbell, Wynn’s lawyer, told the Gaming Commission that his client “has no control over Wynn Resorts as a matter of law, no financial interest, and he no longer exercises any control. In less than 90 days, he ended all personal involvement and ended a nearly 50-year career in Nevada gaming.”
In her ruling, Escobar wrote that “respondents fail to provide any authority supporting their jurisdiction over a person no longer involved in Nevada’s gaming industry in any capacity. Importantly, respondents fail to support their position that they have jurisdiction over a person with no intent to be involved in Nevada’s gaming industry in the future. Why? There is none.”
Wynn Resorts underwent a complete makeover following Steve Wynn’s departure, with a remake of the company’s board, new leadership in the executive suite, and new policies directed toward sexual harassment prevention. A compliance committee was created with numerous procedures to prevent any harassment allegation from going unchecked.
Categoría:Gaming
Tags: Sin tags
País: United States
Event
PERU GAMING SHOW – PGS 2026
17 de June 2026
ProntoPaga Consolidates Its Position at Peru Gaming Show 2026
(Lima, SoloAzar Exclusive).- Juan Carlos Loza, Head of Sales Latam at ProntoPaga, spoke exclusively after the company's participation in Peru Gaming Show 2026, highlighting the agreements reached, the interest in their payment solutions, and the expansion plans that will drive their growth across Latin America.
Monday 03 Aug 2026 / 12:00
Enhancing Responsible Gaming Through Effective Training at PGS 2026
(Lima, SoloAzar Exclusive) – Training, prevention, and technology took center stage at the "Value of Responsible Gaming in Gambling Operations" conference during the 2026 Perú Gaming Show (PGS). Presented by Fernando Calderón Castro, President of the National Gaming Society (SONAJA), the session brought industry leaders together to tackle current challenges and explore strategies for safer, more transparent, and sustainable operations.
Wednesday 22 Jul 2026 / 12:00
LSports at the Peru Gaming Show: Building Presence, Opening Doors
(Lima, SoloAzar Exclusive).- The Peru Gaming Show was never just about the booth. For LSports, it was about showing up in a market where showing up still matters — and leaving with more than a contact list. Federico Brancato, Sales Manager for the LATAM Region, came to Lima with a clear sense of what operators in this part of Latin America need most right now. What he found confirmed it.
Friday 17 Jul 2026 / 12:00
SUSCRIBIRSE
Para suscribirse a nuestro newsletter, complete sus datos
Reciba todo el contenido más reciente en su correo electrónico varias veces al mes.